Randall Middleton


Licensed Architect




Professional Certifications

Licensed Architect, Illinois 1971

Licensed Architect, Missouri 2003

C.D.B Professional Management Program 2001



Bachelor of Architecture, University of Kansas 1967



Middleton Associates Inc. since 1971


United States Navy 1968-1971

PT Boat Captain


Project Experience Highlights

Education Projects

McLean County Unit District No.5 Schools

Randall is regularly conducting Health Life Safety Surveys, and designing construction projects for the district.  He has an ongoing relationship with Unit 5 regarding maintenance of its 15 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 2 high schools.

Ropp Agricultural Laboratory, Illinois State University

Project included classroom spaces, shops, animal showing/judging arena, meat sciences and greenhouse facilities.

Historic Preservation Projects

David Davis Mansion (1872)

Randall has performed numerous restoration projects on the mansion.  This buildings historical significance is that it was the home of David Davis, friend  to President Lincoln and his wife Susan.  As President, Abraham Lincoln appointed Mr. Davis to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Vandalia State House (1837)

The Vandalia State House of 1837 is the fourth State House in Illinois and the oldest standing State House in Illinois.  Abraham Lincoln served his second term of legislature in the 1837 State House and received his license to practice law here as well.  Mr. Middleton performed interior, exterior, roof, and site restoration projects at the State House. 

Mt. Pulaski Courthouse (1848)

Randall performed extensive exterior restoration to the brick walls, upgraded the site to meet ADA Accessibility requirements, and made repairs to interior plaster.  Mt. Pulaski Courthouse saw many cases argued by Mr. Lincoln, as well as being the seat of government for Logan County from 1848-1855. 

Bishop Hill Colony Church(1849)

This is one of the first structures to fall under the protection of the State of Illinois.  It was the home and sanctuary of many Swedish immigrants.  Randall performed a structural evaluation report, and a renovation of the exterior stairs, masonry walls, and interior finishes.

Metamora Courthouse(1845)

Metamora Courthouse was once the seat of government of Woodford County (1845-1896), and like Mt. Pulaski saw Mr. Lincoln argue many cases.  Randall oversaw tuck-pointing of the exterior brick, chimney repairs, and interior plaster work.

University of Illinois Main Library(1923-1927)

The University of Illinois Main Library is world renown for its extensive collections in multiple areas of study.  Some notable collections are those of John Milton, H.G.Wells, and Marcel Proust among others.  It is one of the largest Libraries in the world as well, attaining one million volumes by 1935 and continuously growing ever since.  Mr. Middleton performed an extensive gutter replacement as well as some reroofing and tuck-pointing.  With priceless book collections below the care that Randall put into preventing moisture and humidity from entering the building was extensive.


Service Positions

Normal Rotary Club President 1995-1996

Mclean County Historical Society

The Old House Society Bloomington Normal

President David Davis Mansion Foundation 1994

University of Kansas Alumni Association Lifetime Member

Normal Planning Commission, 1977-1983

City Councilman, Town of Normal, 1983‑1991

McLean Co. Regional Planning Commission, 1984‑1991 Chairman, 1987

Normal Convention Center Comm., 1985‑1991

Town of Normal/Illinois State University Liaison Committee, 1985‑1991


Awards and Recognitions

Personal Accommodation Medal United States Navy– 1969

Scarab, Honorary Architectural Fraternity









Middleton Associates Inc.
1702 W. College Ave. Suite E

Normal, IL 61761-2793

Phone: (309) 452-1271        Fax: (309) 454-8049